Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Flu shot frustrations (that's putting it nicely)

Yesterday afternoon I called Ella's pediatrician to talk to them about getting her a flu shot. The nurse pulled Ella's chart and confirmed that she did get one last year, noted that she'd only need one shot this year since she got one last year, and said that I could come in this morning because they have a flu shot clinic on Wednesdays starting at 8 AM. So, about 8:10, Ella and I go into Dr. Hill's office, walk up to the counter, and I tell the nurse that we are there for a flu shot. She asks "What kind of insurance do you have?", so after answering her question she says "We only have flu shots available for people on Public Aid. We have the flu mist for anyone though". WHAT?!?!?!?!?! First of all, you can't get the flu mist until you are at least 2 years old, so that makes Ella unable to get it. Second, why the heck wasn't I told this yesterday on the phone? Third, and most importantly in my mind, why do people on Public Aid get a flu shot when someone with health insurance cannot? Why do Rob and I work hard to provide for our family and get health insurance for ourselves, just to get punished for it? Why can Joe Crackhead who doesn't work and has 18 kids, bring them in and all get flu shots? Sometimes the world we live in infuriates me. I left Dr. Hill a message to call me tomorrow. I'm anxious to hear what she has to say about the reasoning behind this "policy".

Luckily, after numerous phone calls today, I was able to locate a flu shot for Ella at the Jersey County Health Dept, so I'll be taking her there tomorrow. If that doesn't pan out, you might see my mug shot on the evening news tomorrow night. Will you help bail me out? :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm telling ya...There are benefits to being Joe Crackhead. It's not the way I was raised nor the way I want to be, but it certainly does seem insane.

    I say you continue to be Julie Hardworker. Julie Crackhead just doesn't have a very good ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steff. Luckily, we were able to get her shot in Jerseyville today. I got a call back from her doctor who explained the whole thing about only people on Public Aid getting the shots - short version is their shot comes from the government and the shot the rest of us would get comes from somewhere else and they can get in big trouble if they transfer between the two. Whatever, I guess!!! :)

    ReplyDelete