Well, I figured I should start with the biggest change going on in my life right now.
It all started late August when an email was sent to everyone at work (GMCH) informing us of a mandatory staff meeting on Friday, August 28. Immediately, we were all nervous. No one seemed to have any idea what the meeting was about. Mandatory staff meetings historically have occurred around tax season. A meeting of this nature in August immediately caused a lot of worry, confusion, and gossip. My main concerns were that we cutting jobs, cutting pay, or closing some of the satellite offices (mainly the one I work out of).
Luckily, the day of the meeting, right before we left to go to the meeting, my boss Tim decided to fill us in so we wouldn't be as surprised as most others in the firm. We were informed that GMCH was being sold and would become part of LarsonAllen, effective 10/1/09. We were told that all offices would remain open and that each GMCH employee would receive an employment offer from LarsonAllen. The news, however, did not reduce the worry, confusion, or gossip. In fact, it increased these fears and created more. Would we be taking a cut in pay? Would our culture mesh with the culture of LarsonAllen? Would we be required to report to a different office? Would our work duties change? The questions were endless.
As we continue to approach the date of the merger, some questions have been answered, while other new questions have been created. After our HR meeting this past week, a lot of the basic questions about our employment were answered. The main things that I am excited about at this point are 1) getting a laptop to work from, 2) working out of the same office and with the same people, 3) less expensive insurance benefits, 4) short-term disability insurance that is company paid and can be used during maternity leave, 5) more PTO and paid holidays that I didn't get with GMCH.
Overall, I still experience mixed emotions at times. I'm sure there will be some good changes and some that will take time to get used to. It will take me a while to accept that I will no longer be an employee of GMCH. I've been with the company for 4 years and 8 months and for the most part it has been great. I love the flexibility of my job. I love the people I work with. I love my clients and the work that I do for them (most of the time - that answer would likely be different around a deadline. LOL!). I'm sure there will be things about GMCH that I will miss, but I'm sure there will be a lot of positive changes too.
Please keep me and my co-workers in your prayers as we go through this HUGE change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment